Monday, September 28, 2009

Strong Romanian films screened in Calgary

Each year, the Calgary International Film Festival features great films from around the world. Some years there is a specific focus on a country, such as last year when Icelandic movies were featured. But even without a specifically announced spotlight, a country or two usually jumps out as delivering a solid group of films. Perhaps it is because I was just in Romania a few months ago, but I did notice that this Eastern European nation had three solid films programmed this year: “Katalin Varga,” “The Happiest Girl in the World,” and “Police, Adjective.” I had the chance to see the first two and I found them to be among the best of this year’s slate. I blogged about “Varga” last weekend, but I didn’t get a chance to see “Happiest” until it screened tonight. From the location in downtown Bucharest, we see signature signs of the city such as the numerous stray dogs and the ever present Fornetti pastries (it would be the Romanian Tim Horton's). This film oozes modern Romania. In the remaining days of the festival, make sure to take the opportunity to sample the best of cinema from all over the world.