Saturday, September 26, 2009

Revenge, accordions, and if you keep reading - candy bars


So, I had an extremely busy day, felt super scatter-brained and generally on-edge (think Ray Liotta towards the end of Goodfellas). I figured that as long as I make it to Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon - my most eagerly anticipated film of the festival - I'd be ok. Well, of course I didn't. Missed it, and instead headed down to Revanche at the Globe.

It was the perfect replacement for The White Ribbon - and a total surprise!

Director Goetz Spielmann has created a riveting story of existential crisis set against Vienna's underworld and the Austrian countryside. Like his countryman Haneke, Spielmann comments on the nature of viewership and revenge. Indeed, the cinematography and pacing of the film are reminiscent of Haneke, Spielmann employs similarly long takes which allow dialogue to unfold in a natural but eery format. A lack of soundtrack adds to the realism of the film, all the while testing the audience's nerves with the sound of a knock, a car approaching, or a creaky accordion.

Revanche was exactly what I wanted to see: European arthouse cinema at it's finest - stylized without bells and whistles, challenging the audience with existential dilemma - then shocking us with the most perfect of comedic moments. The film feels really pure in many aspects of its design, but offers such a rich story, with such engaging characters.

And if you're like me, and you're half-Austrian, the accordion music, ein bissen Deutsch, and throught-provoking commentary on immigration will have some extra appeal!

Make sure you check out the encore screening Sunday September 27th at 5pm at the Globe.

So, a viewing update: Saw Tick'r'Treat last night. Hilarious, but made me jump in my seat! The staff at the Plaza decorated with mummies, bats and spiders, handed out gooey eyeballs to guests, and managed to twist my arm (that's a lie, I happily did this) into purchasing 3 candy bars. Am completely ready for Halloween now - a month early - and had the most scary of all bike rides home (Little Red Riding Hood, anyone?)

At 11:30 tonight, checking out Must Love Death at the Plaza (see you there?) then Prom Night In Mississippi tomorrow at Eau Claire Market at noon with my Mom... so wholesome!