Saturday, September 26, 2009

Brennan's Picks for September 26th

It is getting late and tomorrow could be a long day so this is going to be super quick.

The Robe (11:45 @ Plaza): Even if you watch it every Easter it should looked amazing restored and on 35mm.

Victoria Day (Noon @ Globe): I am a sucker for good Canadian coming of age films. Toss in Wayne Gretzky and Bob Dylan. Encores September 27th at 9:30. E1 films are terribly expensive on DVD so be sure to see this in a cinema. Also a great way to show you prefer the movies they distribute that are not part of Twilight series. I think there are 4 other E1 films in CIFF this year. See them all.

Tetro (2:00 @ Eau Claire): Coppola has won 3 Oscars for writing. This is his first original screenplay in more than 30 years (his last was the Conversation). On the topic of classic Coppola, see You're a Big Boy Now if you ever get the chance. Encores October 3rd 9:15

Birdsong (2:00 @ Globe): You had me at 'The Three Magi'. I often am turned off by Jesus-centric films, but when the Magi get a chance to take centre stage, I am in. Gold, Frankincense, and a Family-sized bucket of awesome. Looks to be quite slow-paced but I do not usually start falling asleep in screenings until about day 6 so should be okay.

YYC (2:30 @ Plaza): An annual highlight. I would usually say I would not miss it for anything. I will miss it for Birdsong though. Every film in the package looks fantastic.

Houston, We Have A Problem (5:00 @ Globe): There are a lot of films being made about the oil industry. This one sets itself apart by focussing on the insider's perspective. Although largely viewed as perpetrators of the energy crisis, their familiarity with the complexities of the situation lead to innovative strategies.

Every film at 6:30/7:00: I do not know how I would decide between these five films if I had not seen them and could only choose one. The Animator shorts package includes Spare Change and The Spine. White Ribbon won Palme D'Or and is directed by Michael Haneke. Rock Prophecies is a great film and having Robert Knight and John Chester in attendance should be quite a treat. Revanche was nominated for an Oscar and won a bunch of other awards. I am struggling to think of a better soccer film than Damned United. The only bad choice that can be made is to not go to any.

Cropsey (9:15 @ Eau Claire): One of the jewels in a very impressive Doc series. Not sure what I could write that does not spoil one or more twists. Please see it so we can discuss.

Clone Returns Home (9:45 @ Globe): A film so beautiful that my words could not do it justice. Encores Sunday Septembr 27th @ noon

Must Love Death (11:30 @ Plaza): I have not seen this but the quality of the Late Shows series as a whole suggests it will be quite good. Silver Best International Feature at Fantasia is an exceptionally impressive accolade.