Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Maverick Series starts Wednesday

The day has finally arrived. 7 minutes into Wednesday and I am ready. I do not know what to blog about these films at this point. None were available to me to preview and the advance coverage of them has been fantastic. So, I will just remind you that everyone involved is very proud of the series that has been put together. I think the effects of launching this program can be seen throughout the festival. It is likely a large contributor to Movie Maker magazine selecting CIFF as one of the top 25 film festivals worth paying the entry fee. The quality and quantity of films submitted to the festival were very high this year. Especially strong were the submissions from first or second time feature filmmakers. I think it is quite reasonable to credit the Maverick Award with these advancements. Have you seen a great film from a first or second time filmmaker this year? Want to see the ten films judged to be even better? Then grab a schedule and look for the grey boxes. If you plan it out, you could probably manage to see six of them. I think I am seeing four Wednesday and Thursday and Mel will cover the two playing Friday while I am covering the Smash Cut gala.
If you see one of the Maverick films and want to let us know what you think, e-mail calgaryfilmmaverick@gmail.com
I have been hearing especially great reviews of Unmade Beds. I may not be able to make it to the Globe from Eau Claire between shows. Please let me know if it really is as good as everyone says.
As a bonus, if you notice something odd about EVERYTHING ELSE, send me an e-mail at that address. There is something specific I have in mind that could be strange about the presentation of this film. Do not go searching for it as I do not want you distracted from what I hear is a terrific film. I am just curious if it is even noticeable.