Saturday, September 25, 2010

My picks for Saturday September 25th

Do you want to watch 6 movies in a day? If you do, today is a great day to do it.
In the first time slot, A DIFFERENT PATH (12:45 at Eau Claire) looks to be an interesting doc about people that reject car culture and embrace alternative forms of transportation. I will be at ROGER'S PASS (12:15 at Globe) - I need to read the schedule better. I thought it was at 12:45. That does not leave me much time to get ready and get there. So, the rest of this is going to be quick. Back to ROGER'S PASS. I have been eagerly awaiting this film for months. I curate the art for the Marquee Room; in April, we hosted a fundraiser for this film that displayed and auctioned the art from this film as well as some other great pieces. After looking at ninja penises every day at work for a month, I could not miss this film. The local media has been great with coverage of this film so check any of those pieces for more details.

PHASMA EX MACHINA (2:30, Eau Claire) Did you like PRIMER? Yes, of course you did; everybody did. See this movie. If you prefer the classics or were wowed by THE ILLUSIONIST last night, Jacques Tati's MR HULOT'S HOLIDAY (2:45 at Globe) is your best bet.

ARMADILLO (4:45 at Eau Claire) is the Best Documentary Feature Award winner at CIFF this year. Do you like docs? How about the best doc? Brad, the documentary programmer told me about this film a couple of months ago. It has been starred as a must-see since then. If you cannot make it today it plays again Sunday. See you there. MUNDANE HISTORY (4:30 at Globe) is what I am seeing in this time slot. Must be good. I would not see it if it was not. Someone reliable must have recommended it. I now pass this information on to you in a Kevin Spacey-inspired act of paying it forward.

All the films in the next time slot are worth skipping a proper dinner for. The Headliner is Woody Allen's YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER (6:45 Eau Claire). The only one I have seen is STEAM OF LIFE (7:15 Globe). Finnish doc about saunas, or at least what happens in them. The background info on the making of this film is terrific. Acclimatizing cameras to the steamy environment and so on. Ties in well with another Finnish doc, FREETIME MACHOS, which screened last night. I will be at FAMILY TREE (6:45 Globe). It encores tomorrow so I will tell you about it before then.

I wrote about PUTTY HILL already (http://calgaryfilmfestival.blogspot.com/2010/09/mavericks-day-2-putty-hill.html). A WOMAN, A GUN, AND A NOODLE SHOP (9:30 Globe) is in my top 5 to see this year. Zhang Yimou, the great fifth-generation Chinese filmmaker, remakes the Coen brothers debut, BLOOD SIMPLE. BLOOD SIMPLE is my favourite DVD commentary. Check it out if you get a chance. HEARTBEATS (9:15 Globe) is the latest from Xavier Dolan, director of I KILLED MY MOTHER. I have been hearing rave reviews. Encores on Sunday the 3rd

Rounding out the night is BITTER FEAST (11:30 Plaza). I have been telling anyone and everyone about this film since I first saw it. Probably anyone that cares about my opinion has already been trapped in a corner while I rave about it. In my opinion, it is the gem of the late nights. Joshua Leonard plays the tortured food critic in this film. You can also see him in THE FREEBIE which screens as part of the HUMP NIGHT series on Wednesday.

Time to put on pants and attend some screenings. See you out there!