Monday, September 27, 2010

A mini-interview with Mike's Bloggity Blog

This year, I wanted to do a few mini-interviews with festival-goers to find out about their CIFF experience and learn why they feel the Calgary International Film Festival is an important to Calgary and Calgarians. I had the pleasure recently of interviewing Mike Morrison of Mike’s Bloggity Blog, Canada’s number one entertainment blog for three years running.

Shannon: Tell me about yourself

Mike Morrison: Hey! My name is Mike and I write the Canadian entertainment blog Mike’s Bloggity Blog. I also have a column with Metro and can be found wasting hours on twitter at @mikesbloggity. I’m a huge fan of all things Canadian films, television and theatre. It is my dream to be invited to a Brett Wilson party.

SM: Is this your first CIFF?

MM: Do you know what, it is! Shocking, I know. I moved to Calgary about five years ago and have been overwhelmed with the amount of things there are to do in the city. Sometimes it is a little harder to find stuff than in Vancouver or Toronto, but I think that just makes you appreciate things like CIFF even more. In the past five years, I’ve been able to meet some amazing actors and I’m really excited to have the opportunity to see them on the big screen!

SM: What value do you think CIFF offers to Calgary’s greater cultural landscape?

MM: The more people talk about Calgary and our films, filmmakers and actors, the more I think people will respect this vital industry. I honesty wish I knew about the history of film in Calgary. I mean, there has to be a reason that so many American productions keep coming here to make so many great movies! Plus, let’s all be honest, our hockey team doesn’t have the best track record. That will only help filmmakers when Flames fans start looking for alternatives.

SM: IS there a film you’re particularly interested in or looking forward to?


MM: I had to miss Score: A Hockey Musical, so I’m bummed about that. I love all the singers that are featured in the movie, like Hawksley Workman. Since I’m in the blogging business, I’m definitely going to go on word of mouth. Plus, I’m really easy to boss around, so I’ll pretty much go to anything anyone tells me to!

* * * * *

Be sure to check out Mike’s Bloggity Blog (http://mikesbloggityblog.com/) for the latest in Canadian – and Calgarian – entertainment. You can also follow Mike on Twitter at @mikesbloggity.