Friday, September 24, 2010

My picks for Friday September 24th

We are fortunate to have a great opening Friday this year. There is at least one film to satisfy everyone's taste. I have seen 8 of the 10 films in the Mavericks: International series. It is a terrific set of films and for those looking to see the best of the films they will not be able to see any where else (to my knowledge only 1 of the 2009 Mavericks has received a proper North American release), any or all of the Mavericks are a great selection on any day of the festival. MANUEL DE RIBERA is the first of the Mavericks to screen this year (7:00 at the Plaza). Anything I could write pales in comparison to the official CIFF synopsis (http://www.calgaryfilm.com/2010/schedule/film/375/). It is the most visually arresting film in the series. The filmmakers have crafted a nearly perfect film. It is not for everyone's taste but every facet of the film successfully matches what one can assume was the filmmakers' intent. It is classified in the contemplative cinema genre and moves at a slow pace. The film does not suffer from this pace. Rather, the pacing allows the audience a periodic chance to step back from the story and truly appreciate how well the film is crafted. During the first viewing, I thought the film was a tough sell but as I turn it over in my mind, I realize it may be among the best films I have seen recently.

Also of note at this timeslot: KING OF PASTRY (7:30 Globe): Pennebaker and pastry. Two words that combined should be enough to entice you. Seriously, just look at Pennebaker's IMDb listing (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0672060/). He is 85 years old and consistently makes documentaries that rank among the best of all time. And do not tell me you do not like pastry. TRIGGER (7:00 Globe). Directed by Bruce McDonald. I think it is Tracey Wright's final film role. It is one of those rare films that people are so instantly sure they want to see that very few have even read the details of what it is about. Great start to what looks to be a fantastic Music on Film series. THE ILLUSIONIST (7:30 Eau Claire). Director of TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE working off a Jacques Tati script. I tear up with expectation for this film. Literally. I just re-read the synopsis and my eyes are watering. You can watch this Friday, M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY Saturday, and PLAYTIME Sunday.

At the 9:00 slot: I watched THE FAMOUS AND THE DEAD (9:00 Globe) yesterday. I think it comes down to one sentence in synopsis, "THE FAMOUS AND THE DEAD follows Mr. Tambourine Man (Henrique Larre), a 16-year-old Bob Dylan fan who spends hours on the Internet surfing for photographs and movies of a mysterious young woman who he may be in love with." That resembles my life 1o yeats ago more than I would like to admit. Brilliantly executed. If you like hokey puns you could even say it is Brazilliantly executed. Claim that joke as your own. I am too embarrassed to say it to anyone in person. HAPPY POET (9:15 Eau Claire). A guy tries to sell eggless egg salad. That plot point is enough for me to want to see it. Check out what Sasha wrote about it (http://calgaryfilmfestival.blogspot.com/2010/09/happy-poet-very-happy-movie-indeed.html). I will be at FREETIME MACHOS (9:45 Eau Claire). The Finnish films are tremendous this year. See the list at http://www.calgaryfilm.com/2010/schedule/browse/country/FI/. Do not know much about the one. Just have been so impressed with the quality of Finnish movies this year that it is worth a shot.

The Late Shows series is solid from start to finish this year. THE SHRINE (11:30 Plaza) earned its place amongst these films by blowing audiences away at Fantasia this year. I have not seen THE SHRINE but I did see films it beat out for this spot so I have faith it is well-worth seeing. For more details, check out Erin's post (http://calgaryfilmfestival.blogspot.com/2010/09/shrine-kicks-off-2010s-frightening-late.html)