Friday, October 2, 2009

Steaks, Vampire Girl, My Mom

So I went for the most fantastic meal last night at Vintage Chophouse (320 11th Ave SW)! Took my mom... after all, she gave birth to me, I figured - since a number of friends couldn't make it - that she deserved a lovely meal!

While the menu offered a number of tapas and seafood dishes, we decided to focus on some traditional Calgary fare (you guessed it... steak and potatoes!) Believe me, this sort of stuff is what Vintage does best! First of all, our fantastic server showed us a selection of different cuts, explained how they are cooked - which by the way was great, because I asked him a totally ridiculous question (in hindsight) which he very politely answered. Ok guys, so you shouldn't serve a fattier piece of steak rare because the fat won't break down.

Obvious now, isn't it?

Well, this fellow was super helpful and offered a great recommendation on a wine pairing as well. I ordered the rib eye (rare) with a Stilton butter, and delicious mashed potatoes. The new world Malbec he suggested was completely complimentary! My mom had a New York strip with a peppercorn sauce, asparagus and mashed potatoes. OF COURSE WE SHARED SOME BITES and let me tell you, her fattier cut was unbelievable tender, as was my less fatty but rarer steak. Delicious!

Then for dessert: a glass of a ten year old port which worked so well with my pecan and pear tart. Oh - wait, this was what I wanted to tell you: the tart was topped with an incredibly creamy star anise ice cream. THIS. MADE. MY. NIGHT. My mom loved her creme brulee, which I believe had a bit of a mocha flavour to it.

And this was really the best part of the meal: our server and I talked about the festival - he said he was excited for Leslie, My Name is Evil! Love that he had a film picked out!

Then, after dinner, it was off to a screening of Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl. Rare steaks and a gore-fest? Perfect pairing, I'd say!

Well, thanks to the folks from Vintage Chophouse! I recommend you visit them - and check out their tapas menu, it looked phenomenal! You can view their menu at www.vintagechophouse.com



If you would like to visit yourself - from now until October 31st, you can receive a $20 gift card to visit Redwater Rustic Grille when you spend at least $100 before taxes at Vintage Chophouse, and pay with your American Express Card.

More info can be found in A Guide To Great Food In Calgary - brought to you by Avenue Magazine and American Express (pick up your copy at the CIFF Box Office at 207 8th Ave SW) - thanks to Avenue and Amex for their generous support throughout the festival!