Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gala of a Different Colour - Smash Cut

Smash Cut has been near the top of my list of films to see since Sasha Grey first mentioned it on her Twitter. I get so excited about it that I just start yelling names and credits. Starting with the cast and crew in attendance: Lee Gordon Demarbe, Michael Berryman, David Hess, and Jennilee Murray.
I think of Ottawa as the location of Demarbe's Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and the Harry Knuckles films more than as the nation's capital. I have two copies of JCVH so that I can constantly have one lent out and have another to watch whenever I feel the urge. He also directed the Dead Sleep Easy which mentions CIFF on the DVD box art. Smash Cut looks to continue a tradition of awesome films from Demarbe.
Michael Berryman!!! Pluto from The Hills Have Eyes! In Calgary!!
David Hess. Starred as Krug Stillo in Last House on the Left. Also contributed to the soundtrack for that film and Cabin Fever.
For fans of horror films, I do not think there has been a better Q & A line-up in Calgary.
Other performers of note in the film are Sasha Grey, Ian Driscoll , and Phil Caracas.
Sasha Grey has won 4 AVN awards including Female Performer of the Year in 2008. She was nominated for 8 AVNs this year for 6 different films (including a mesmerizing performance in Pirates II which won 15 AVNs). Most of her filmography is probably inappropriate to detail on this blog but her role as the first female Vulcan affected by Pon Farr in This Ain't Star Trek is hard to ignore.
Ian Driscoll and Phil Caracas appear to have rather small roles in the film, with Ian also serving as screenwriter. I have been a huge fan of them since seeing them as Johnny Golgotha and Jesus Christ respectively in JCVH (also written by Ian)
I could talk an ear off an elephant about this film but rather than continuing to read my opinions and expressions of enthusiasm you should go get yourself a ticket.

Lights...Camera...Body Parts