Sunday, October 4, 2009

Geetika's Fave's and Last Recommendations

Well it's Sunday October 4th, and the Calgary International Film Festival is winding down to the end for this years schedule, as is my blogging.

Last Day of CIFF............sigh

I wanted to take a moment to highlight my favorites for this year based on the two series (Canadian, and Hump Night) that I have been blogging on.

For Canadian films at the festival this year my favorites in order are:

1. An Insignificant Harvey - Which to be honest with you was not one I was keen on seeing, much to my surprise I ended up loving it. Hence the saying goes "never judge a book by it's cover" or in our case a film.

2. Year of the Carnivore - I loved the quirky nature of this film, and the scenario's that were played out by Sammy Smalls (although this film was part of the hump night series, it was Canadian and one of my fave's as a Canadian film).

3. Excited - The underlying message of the film in regards to acceptance is why this film is third on my list.

Honorable mention - I Killed My Mother . I must say that I was very taken by I Killed My Mother considering Xavier Dolan not only took on the lead character, but also produced, and directed the film.

Hump Night Series - The Auteur
It was a definite crowd pleaser, hands down! I would recommend this film to anyone who does not get too queasy when things get a little (okay a lot) frisky.

I did have the opportunity to check out some other films at the festival, and my no. 1 all around favorite film for this years CIFF programming would would have to be, drum roll please ..................................

Geetika's all around CIFF favorite this year: Amreeka!
It was funny, yet made a powerful impact on understanding ignorance, and Nisreen Faour was fabulous as Muna. Plus this film was American and Canadian.

If you have not had a chance to check out the festival, there is still time as films will be screened until late tonight. You can still catch Cole, High Life, and one of my fave's, The Auteur.

Alright that's it for me for this year, officially signing off! Geetika